Friday, January 13, 2006

Windy Day

Today’s forecast called for a building southerly wind but the task committee didn’t believe it.  They called a challenging task that had us diving in around Mt Buffalo and then back into the Kiewa Valley.  There were very few clouds and those quickly disappeared.  I got a good climb at launch and since I was so early in the launch order I headed straight to the start circle.  It was a long glide and lots of digging trying to find the next climb.  It finally came together somewhat and some fellas joined me to find the strongest lift.  Good ole Dave Sieb and Jonny jumped in the party and we got the first start just about 2 minutes late.  Dave led to the first turnpoint and across the valley.  He marked the next thermal but I hit a better core and ended up higher.  The wind was now even stronger then on the last ridge and had more west in it (NW).  As I glided towards the turnpoint I couldn’t believe how strong the wind was.  Drill city.  I arrived on the next ridge and couldn’t find anything good.  The valleys were narrow and limited.  Hunt, hunt, hunt.  It sucked being alone.  I dove out the finger puckered and toes pointed towards the closest “bailout.”  At the end of the spur there was plenty of kick in the air to get my attention and I struggled to get some turns in.  Slowly I gained some height in this rough washing machine.  As I drifted back I got body slammed a couple times before pushing forward for the next core.  Slowly I struggled back out of the valley.  It was clear the wind was strong and NW.  The other pilots took a course further south so I was stuck on my own.  Velocities were 20-30 kph and I definitely felt like I needed some good old ballast.  I wish there had been room for some lead when I packed all my gear to get to Australia.  Jonny and Dave got the second turnpoint and were heading back as the second gaggle caught me.  It’s frustrating being the marker that helps them glide around the area that you just fought to get across.  I was so beat mentally that they pretty much flew right through me.  I was not climbing well today.  Too tense, flying much too fast.  Just not in my groove.

 

Once we hit the second turnpoint behind Buffalo life got easier.  Now we had a quartering tailwind.  Course line followed the way out so I had a bunch of good thermals mapped out already.  They were still there on the way back so the leapfrog went well.  Final glide had us crossing over into the lee of some big hills and I almost blew those calculations.  9 to 1 to goal with a tailwind and I am gliding at 8 to 1.  Haha, not good.  Once in the valley things normalized and I crossed into the goal radius with about 100 feet of altitude.  It was a long walk to the breakdown area!

 

Kev

No comments: