Monday, April 17, 2006

Finally the winds abate

The pilots voted to extend the meet one day to Friday because it looked like that would be the only flyable day. It worked out well even though the east/NE wind was pretty stiff. The chosen course was crosswind to the turnpoint with a set of 5 very early starts. I didn't think the day was going to come together as fast as they were expecting so I took my time getting in the air. Between sink outs and weak link breaks it took a very long time to tow everyone up. The wind was hard to overcome ratcheting across the start circle. I ended up alone at the bottom while most of the gaggle was more on the side, but upwind of the first turnpoint. Lucky for all of us the day really came together around that time so driving to the first turnpoint was not as hard as it had been. Once there the sky was full of other pilots and the strong lift was even easier to find. With a tailwind and a blue hole ahead I flew too conservative hoping for a one thermal final glide. As it turned out there was tons of lift because the area was just turning on and cranking hot. I had to keep the VG at only half racing into the airport because the air was so cracking! Oleg smoked everyone there. Jonny and Brett were a few minutes and change ahead of me. Under the circumstances (scoring) I should have been racing much harder on that last leg so I regret flying so conservative. I would have like to finish with them.

I can't seem to find the full results anywhere online and my memory isn't good enough to quote the awards ceremony.

Kev

No comments: